Why does the NetzAK not offer a “ready-to-use WiFi” for the room?
- With our own WiFi, you can access the Internet with your game consoles, printers and everything else you want.
- A router will cost you an average of €20 once, “ready-to-use WiFi” is more expensive after four months at the latest.
- Helping each of you (with any kind of device) to connect to a WiFi managed by us is too much work for us volunteers.
- Gamers and people who use the network intensively appreciate the better ping and higher speed of a network cable.
In short, it is freer, faster and cheaper.
How do I set up my own Wifi?
You connect a router to our network socket and then it usually works.
- The network socket often has two ways to plug in the cable, but only one is active at a time (try both!).
- Not everything that is sold as a router is a real router, sometimes it is a DSL modem or an access point (see list).
- The settings on the router. Your connection is not a DSL connection and there are no credentials needed (see settings).
List of routers that work in our network
We are not allowed to recommend a specific router, but we have made a selection from the routers we have helped you with since 2019. Everything marked “nein” in the table is not a router and does not work on our network. Everything marked “ja” in the table is a router and works.
If you have a router that is not on the list, please contact us (subject: Creating a WiFi) and we will add it to the list.
The new devices cost between 11€ and 100€.
In front you have to know that the connection in the rooms is an Ethernet connection and not like in most households DSL.
You need a WiFi-router which you connect with the WAN-port(in picture blue) to the network socket in your room.Some models use for this type of connection Lan1. Now you connect a PC with the router. In most cases you have two options. The first option is that you connect your PC to the wifi of your router. If there is a key needed it is in most cases printed on a label on the bottom of the device
The second option is that you connect your PC to one of the Lan-ports(in picture yellow) of your router. Now you open the web interface of your router in your browser(Internet explorer, safari, chrome, …). The needed address and login information should be also printed on a label on the bottom of your device. The address should be similar to 192.168.x.1. With the open web interface you do the Setup-Wizard. You chose as connection type “receive IP automatically over DHCP”. Another common name ist “IP-Client-Modus”. Remember the connection is an Ethernet connection and does not need any Login data .
Afterwards you should change the password for your router and your network key. If you want you can also change your network name (SSID.)
If you have trouble with one of the steps you can come to our consultation hour and we configure your router together.